Aviation, which began as an elective back in 1987, is now a full program in which students spend three class periods a day receiving ground lab training and flight instruction at a local towered airport. Many Aviation students earn their Private Pilot License prior to high school graduation.
With over 70 years of combined aviation experience, our Aviation faculty instill a lifelong love of aeronautical science by providing safe, professional flight, and ground instruction to students interested in pursuing a career in the field of aviation.
1987 - Aviation was offered as an elective
1998 - Mr. Ewing was hired to as the Aviation Instructor and began to create the Aviation Program
2007 - The Aviation Program now offers Private Pilot Operation training to earn a Private Pilot License and is offered as three periods during the academic day
Today - 500+ students have received flight training, 18 students have earned a Private Pilot’s License, and 28 students have matriculated to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (rated #1 college in aviation)
- Students earn 5 dual enrollment credits at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Small class size. Maximum 5:1 instructor ratio
- Applies advanced science and math concepts
- Increases self-confidence and communication skills
- Teaches responsibility for self and others
- Impressive on college applications and resumes
- Definite career opportunities
- St. Petersburg has over 361 days of sunshine per year = great for flying!
- Students who obtain a Private Pilot License through our Aviation Program pay only $14,000. Obtaining a Private Pilot License independently would cost more than twice that: $32,830!